[Catalyst-dev] website designs

J. Shirley jshirley at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 19:03:01 GMT 2008

On Jan 19, 2008 3:52 AM, Mike Whitaker <mike at altrion.org> wrote:

> On 19 Jan 2008, at 01:20, Jay K wrote:
> >
> >          http://www.gocompare.com/
>
> Have to say, this is uglier than I remember it.
>
> > http://fabrikade.sg/
>
> I like this - good choice of complementary colours, nice and clean.
>
> A couple of the others that were mentioned were iusethis.com and
> digg.com (from about 4 revisions back).
>
> The general consensus of the discussion was that the front page
> needed to be crisp/clean/uncluttered, with considerably less text
> than we have at present, and a generally complementary set of colours
> (shades of grey/black/red/white as per the logo, I assume?)
>
> If your designer needs the logo, have him mail me - I can't upload
> the full EPS file to the twiki, as it exceeds the max attachment size :)
> --
> Mike Whitaker - mike at altrion.org

Came across this one this morning which I like: https://www.renehornig.com/

As for content management, I'm leaning towards using MovableType OS for the
main site, and then a MojoMojo install for the rest of the wiki.  I also
wonder if it would be prudent to have a forum setup.  I know we have a
mailing list, and that is definitely the geek-preferred method, but it may
not hurt to have forums... and Parley is a Catalyst app that does just that,
so it may be a good "marketing" move.

I've been playing around a lot with MovableType just to see (which has been
a distraction from finishing my docpage project, stagnating at
http://catsite.toeat.com/docs/Catalyst-Manual-Intro.html) and I think it
fits the bill for static/moderated content.  I just wonder how much of that
is necessary with the docpage project though.  The hosted blogs are nice,
but how many people are really going to be interested in using it?

-J

-- =

J. Shirley :: jshirley at gmail.com :: Killing two stones with one bird...
http://www.toeat.com