[Catalyst-dev] website designs

J. Shirley jshirley at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 19:09:24 GMT 2008

On Jan 19, 2008 11:03 AM, J. Shirley <jshirley at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 19, 2008 3:52 AM, Mike Whitaker <mike at altrion.org> wrote:
>
> > On 19 Jan 2008, at 01:20, Jay K wrote:
> > >
> > >          http://www.gocompare.com/
> >
> > Have to say, this is uglier than I remember it.
> >
> > > http://fabrikade.sg/
> >
> > I like this - good choice of complementary colours, nice and clean.
> >
> > A couple of the others that were mentioned were iusethis.com and
> > digg.com (from about 4 revisions back).
> >
> > The general consensus of the discussion was that the front page
> > needed to be crisp/clean/uncluttered, with considerably less text
> > than we have at present, and a generally complementary set of colours
> > (shades of grey/black/red/white as per the logo, I assume?)
> >
> > If your designer needs the logo, have him mail me - I can't upload
> > the full EPS file to the twiki, as it exceeds the max attachment size :)
> >
> > --
> > Mike Whitaker - mike at altrion.org

> Came across this one this morning which I like:https://www.renehornig.com/
>
> As for content management, I'm leaning towards using MovableType OS for
> the main site, and then a MojoMojo install for the rest of the wiki.  I a=
lso
> wonder if it would be prudent to have a forum setup.  I know we have a
> mailing list, and that is definitely the geek-preferred method, but it may
> not hurt to have forums... and Parley is a Catalyst app that does just th=
at,
> so it may be a good "marketing" move.
>
> I've been playing around a lot with MovableType just to see (which has
> been a distraction from finishing my docpage project, stagnating at http:=
//catsite.toeat.com/docs/Catalyst-Manual-Intro.html
> ) and I think it fits the bill for static/moderated content.  I just
> wonder how much of that is necessary with the docpage project though.  The
> hosted blogs are nice, but how many people are really going to be interes=
ted
> in using it?
>
> -J
>
> --
> J. Shirley :: jshirley at gmail.com :: Killing two stones with one bird...
> http://www.toeat.com

Sorry for replying to myself, but wanted to add another idea...

I really want the Cat site to get done.  I find myself trying to field too
many requests and never finishing anything, which really does bother me.  I
want to JFDI, but there is a lot of disagreement or alternative opinions
that make it hard to get things done.  I suppose I could just ignore
everybody, but I don't want to do that  -- since I do believe that the
feedback is valid.

So, what I want to do is put together an official technical marketing team.
I want to have regular meetings (weekly, I think) that can just be scrum
style (This is what I want to do, this is when I am going to finish [so feel
free to nag me], and this is what is blocking me from doing it).

Thoughts?  Volunteers?

-- =