[Catalyst-dev] website designs

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Wed Jan 23 06:14:37 GMT 2008

On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 07:27:20AM -0800, J. Shirley wrote:
> On Jan 22, 2008 1:27 AM, Matt S Trout <dbix-class at trout.me.uk> wrote:

> > night

> > > Each with their own problems, making them difficult to properly use.

> > > The problem is that we don't have a design to put content, and it gets
> > > tiring to try to write content in a way that isn't displayed right
> > because
> > > if you want to change the display... well, whoops, you're designing
> > again.
> >
> > I'd just write some content and then we can edit it down to fit into the
> > design later. Any fluid CSS design usually lets you have longer content
> > anyway. I thought that was rather the point.
> >

> That's what we're doing, but some folks have opinions against fluid designs,
> blah blah blah blah blah.

Suggestion: require people to have made a practical contribution before they're
allowed an opinion about anything bikesheddish.

e.g. "convert a trac page" or whatever.

> > we
> > > >

> > > No, I have that setup and people are working on content.
> >
> > So do an 'import' that just links any existing page to a /oldwiki URL we
> > can set up with an export of the trac HTML and lets roll it over. Then
> > everybody can play at porting trac pages easily.
> >

> This was also discussed at length some time ago, and between jwang and
> myself going through the content it really just needs to be revamped.
> People can import from Trac, but it needs manual editing and
> categorization.  The big strength of MojoMojo is that it has a tree
> hierarchy and we should be using that to its fullest advantage.
>
> The idea of importing the Trac nodes was shelved, as it just seemed like it
> was going to cause more work down the road than it would be to just manually
> import by hand.  We can open this discussion up again, but I am pretty sure
> that the same conclusions will be made.

That's why I was suggesting just importing a pointer to a read-only copy of
the old one and letting people manually import pages as they decided they
care - that way what content -could- be there is listed and "but X page
hasn't been converted" is no excuse for not rolling over.

> Also, specifically for Matt, regarding removing all ops and setting
> #catalyst-site (which I created to JFDI) to +m I have some things I'd like
> to say about that.  I believe #catalyst-dev is for the development of
> Catalyst.  I don't want to have to deal with filtering other discussions
> when talking about site content and marketing matters.  What you did with
> #catalyst-site is total bullshit, and really a huge asshole of a move.

We discussed whether to split channels and lists at length when the various
team splits were originally posited - including the marketing team which is
you and jwang and responsible for the site.

The decision was that that was a really bad idea, and the answer was to keep
things together and treat people bikeshedding about things that didn't
concern them as a human problem that didn't need a technical solution.

So I JFDI'd keeping to the decision. If you'd like to revisit it, please do
so in a separate thread.