[Catalyst-dev] Re: RFC, docs reorg, again

Aristotle Pagaltzis pagaltzis at gmx.de
Mon May 5 09:52:07 BST 2008

* Matt S Trout <dbix-class at trout.me.uk> [2008-05-04 16:00]:
> So move Catalyst::Manual:: into devel and have a separate
> tutorial dist?
>
> Could work but the reason we moved the damn thing out was
> complaints from the documenters that doc releases were waiting
> for a release of a code containing package (though that was
> -Runtime IIRC).

Yes, that is the crucial point: there was all bunched together
pre-distro-split, and people install Catalyst on servers, where
it is clearly a bad idea to bump version numbers just to fix
typos in POD.

But now that the distros have been split, what goes on servers is
the -Runtime, not -Devel, which is going to be installed mostly
on developer machines. So bumping its version for POD updates
should not be an issue the way it was when there was only a
single distro.

> How about if we put all this crap off, and first work on
> getting a docs -> HTML rendering that can live on the website
> done (I believe Jay got most of the way to this). Then we can
> have the POD versions say very clearly "we're a goddamn
> snapshot, here's the latest" and shifting them back into a code
> dist ceases to be an issue.
>
> Thoughts?

That sounds ideal. It would make it easier to edit the docs, and
while I think it would be unnecessary to delay doc changes until
there are code changes to be pushed out, it would still allow
pushing doc changes less frequently if there happens to be a
sudden burst of them. So release frequency could be kept low
enough to not inconvenience users despite doing purely doc-
related releases.

Regards,