[Catalyst-dev] Re: RFC, docs reorg, again

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Mon May 5 12:01:30 BST 2008

On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 10:52:07AM +0200, Aristotle Pagaltzis wrote:
> * Matt S Trout <dbix-class at trout.me.uk> [2008-05-04 16:00]:
> > So move Catalyst::Manual:: into devel and have a separate
> > tutorial dist?
> >
> > Could work but the reason we moved the damn thing out was
> > complaints from the documenters that doc releases were waiting
> > for a release of a code containing package (though that was
> > -Runtime IIRC).
>
> Yes, that is the crucial point: there was all bunched together
> pre-distro-split, and people install Catalyst on servers, where
> it is clearly a bad idea to bump version numbers just to fix
> typos in POD.
>
> But now that the distros have been split, what goes on servers is
> the -Runtime, not -Devel, which is going to be installed mostly
> on developer machines.

See, now I remember why we did it. Because you're wrong, the ::Manual
split was later than the Runtime/Devel split. I know this because the
newest member of core when we split runtime out was LTJake; Mr. Rockway
hadn't even turned up on the list that I remember at that point.

And here's the reason: If something fucks itself on a production server
and you're the poor bastard fixing it at 3am, you might want the docs
there to help. And you might want to be able to whack the docs onto the
system you're currently on -without- pulling any extra code onto it. Which
means it can't be in Runtime -or- Devel.

Not that that's necessarily a -good- reason, this shit is all Hobson's
choice.