[Catalyst-dev] nginx patch to Engine::FastCGI?

J. Shirley jshirley at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 15:24:41 GMT 2008

On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 7:50 AM, Andy Grundman <andy at hybridized.org> wrote:
>>> Which is why I'm motivated to get full functionality of it + Catalyst,
>>> which is the thread... so, can any core devs chime in, perhaps andyg
>>> specifically?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> -J
>>
>> Okay, so what are there to get the info needed from nginx to the fastcgi
>> engine? Is there any way other than to use env vars? i.e. is the best plan
>> of attack to patch Engine::FastCGI similarly to what's needed for lighttpd
>> and add some docs somewhere saying 'to run under non-root nginx do this'?
>

> I've never used nginx so I'll leave it up to you guys to come up with the
> best solution.  If we have to patch the FastCGI engine like we did for
> lighttpd it doesn't bother me too much.  Have you checked what the Rails
> guys (or others) do for this situation?  Let's make sure some obscure config
> option hasn't been missed first.

Frustratingly, all the examples I've managed to find are about running
the app at "/".  The much more common option is using mongrel, in
which case nginx simply acts as a proxy and FastCGI isn't in the
picture.

Looking at how PHP handles things is also a fools errand, since it is
file based and SCRIPT_NAME points to the executing script.

(Speaking of mongrel, it seems roughly similar to ::Prefork -- has
anybody done any comparisons?)

Sounds like a hacky patch is the way forward :(  I could possibly
submit a patch to nginx, but I figure that could be more work...

Thanks,
-J