[Catalyst-dev] Catalyst plugin

Octavian Rasnita orasnita at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 08:15:47 BST 2008

Hi,

From: "J. Shirley" <jshirley at gmail.com>
> Lets not work on changing the interface and instead focus on adding
> attachment support :)

Well, I am mainly interested not on adding attachments support, but on using UTF-8 chars in the headers without needing to specify the encoding and on creating a multipart message with a text and an html part, but without needing to create each part manually.

With other words, I am interested in a less flexible module, but one much easier to use.

If C::V::Email would allow adding attachments and images, but would also allow adding Flash annimations in the HTML content, or other objects, or it would also allow other encodings than UTF-8, but it would require all those parameters manually (the encoding, the Content-Type), I won't use it, not because the module is not good, but because it might be too much for what I need.

> When sending email, you should always specify content type of the
> parts though.  If you like the htmltext aspects of Mail::Builder,
> there are other ways (convenience methods, etc), but they would
> possibly require further upstream changes with
> Catalyst::View::Email::Template (which uses TT to generate HTML) --
> and I don't want to automatically assume that TT => HTML, but I'm fine
> with a simple configuration switch, but if your only complaint is that
> you don't want to set your specific content type, I think it is best
> to shelve that until after the attachment work.

Actually, I would also like that the same module to work with templates if it is possible.
So instead of using
body => ...
to use
template => ...

but with the same module, without needing to install another module, nor create another view, configure it and so on.

And to be more clear what I want, is to create a static module that works outside of Catalyst app, and use that module in the Catalyst view, because I want to be able to use the same interface when sending mail from a cron job, so probabily the part of the module that uses a template should not use Catalyst but Template-Toolkit directly.

So, in this case, don't you think it would be better to create another module?

Octavian