[Catalyst-dev] subdomain hook for Catalyst::Test

Ashley apv at sedition.com
Wed Oct 8 18:22:28 BST 2008

On Oct 8, 2008, at 10:06 AM, Jason Gottshall wrote:
>> Just throwing this out there: "domain" is probably the wrong
>> technical nomenclature for this however it ends up being done.
>> URI.pm and friends use "host" and I argue for toeing that line.
>
> Excellent. I've been wondering about that myself. I'll accept the
> idea of going with "host" (and "default_host" as the package var)
> for fully-qualified "white-label" values
>
> Now, how do you feel about that which I've been calling
> "subdomain"? That is, one or more of the left-most domain/host name
> elements, to be added to whatever the standing host is at the time:
> 'localhost' for local requests, or the hostname component of $ENV
> {CATALYST_SERVER}, or even the newly minted "host" value noted
> above. I think I pulled the term from a DNS-related RFC, but that
> means nothing. I'm open to suggestions.

I think subdomains are only conceptually related to their domains (or
as a matter of dispatch convenience). Each is really either its own
host or some kind of dispatch alias like www v "" tends to be. So
there shouldn't be a reason to include anything "less than" host.
Someone feel free to club me like a baby seal if I'm talking crazy.

-Ashley