[Catalyst-dev] subdomain hook for Catalyst::Test

Jason Gottshall jgottshall at capwiz.com
Wed Oct 8 18:38:36 BST 2008

Ashley wrote:
> On Oct 8, 2008, at 10:06 AM, Jason Gottshall wrote:
>> Now, how do you feel about that which I've been calling "subdomain"?
>> That is, one or more of the left-most domain/host name elements, to be
>> added to whatever the standing host is at the time: 'localhost' for
>> local requests, or the hostname component of $ENV{CATALYST_SERVER}, or
>> even the newly minted "host" value noted above. I think I pulled the
>> term from a DNS-related RFC, but that means nothing. I'm open to
>> suggestions.
>
> I think subdomains are only conceptually related to their domains (or as
> a matter of dispatch convenience). Each is really either its own host or
> some kind of dispatch alias like www v "" tends to be. So there
> shouldn't be a reason to include anything "less than" host. Someone feel
> free to club me like a baby seal if I'm talking crazy.

No clubs here, but honestly the "subdomain" case is the original problem
I was trying to solve. We use virtual subdomains to enable
customer-specific behaviors, and they could be tacked on to any number
of white-labeled base domains. My aim is to be able to modify only the
subdomain value in a test, irrespective of the rest of base domain name.

But you've got me thinking, and it does seem like my problem would be
solved by the "host" mechanism if I just accept the idea that I'll
always have to fully qualify it, even if I don't care what the rest of
the domain is...