[Catalyst-dev] Catalyst Performance Testing

Peter Karman peter at peknet.com
Thu Apr 23 01:20:44 GMT 2009

Jason Wieland wrote on 4/22/09 7:50 PM:

> So a couple questions:
> * Looking at these results.  Do they seem consistent in what the
> overhead of Catalyst should be?
> * Is there advice that can be done to disable feature in Catalyst I
> might not need in order to increase performance?
> - I've took out StackTrace and -Debug from the main pm file
> - I've removed the $log as well
> * Does upgrading to 5.8 increase performance?
>
> I wrote a very simple 10 line modperl app that just grabs a static file
> and dumps it to STDOUT just for a little more comparison:
> Static Modperl: 472 reqs/sec
>
> So there is ~71% efficiency hit in using Catalyst to serve a static file
> and simple modperl script.  Granted Catalyst is doing a lot more stuff
> but seems like a humongous hit to take.

Those numbers seem very reasonable to me.

But I never serve static content with Catalyst in production. Static::Simple is
for development only.

Your benchmark is accurate but it's measuring apples and oranges. Catalyst is
not optimized for serving static content, because there's already good tools
that do that. It's optimized for development of dynamic content.

Why not measure how many requests your web server can serve for dynamic content?

Peter Karman  .  http://peknet.com/  .  peter at peknet.com