[Catalyst-dev] Catalyst Performance Testing

Jason Wieland jwieland at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 03:12:15 GMT 2009

Peter Karman wrote:
> Jason Wieland wrote on 4/22/09 7:50 PM:
>
>   =

>> So a couple questions:
>> * Looking at these results.  Do they seem consistent in what the
>> overhead of Catalyst should be?
>> * Is there advice that can be done to disable feature in Catalyst I
>> might not need in order to increase performance?
>> - I've took out StackTrace and -Debug from the main pm file
>> - I've removed the $log as well
>> * Does upgrading to 5.8 increase performance?
>>
>> I wrote a very simple 10 line modperl app that just grabs a static file
>> and dumps it to STDOUT just for a little more comparison:
>> Static Modperl: 472 reqs/sec
>>
>> So there is ~71% efficiency hit in using Catalyst to serve a static file
>> and simple modperl script.  Granted Catalyst is doing a lot more stuff
>> but seems like a humongous hit to take.
>>     =

> Those numbers seem very reasonable to me.
>
> But I never serve static content with Catalyst in production. Static::Sim=
ple is
> for development only.
>
> Your benchmark is accurate but it's measuring apples and oranges. Catalys=
t is
> not optimized for serving static content, because there's already good to=
ols
> that do that. It's optimized for development of dynamic content.
>
> Why not measure how many requests your web server can serve for dynamic c=
ontent?

>   =

Yes Peter I agree, I do serve all my static content from outside =

Catalyst.  I was just trying to get a feel of the type of overhead that =

a minimal install of the framework.  Or the difference between running a =

simple script in vanilla modperl and Catalyst modperl.  Tomorrow I will =

create an app that has the same functionality in Catalyst and vanilla =

modperl and rerun the benchmark to find out a better idea of the overhead.

Jason