[Catalyst-dev] Catalyst Performance Testing

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Mon Apr 27 11:17:56 GMT 2009

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 01:41:55PM -0700, Jason Wieland wrote:
> However I'm working on a different project for an ISP (ondemand
> anti-phishing protection) which requires us to handle a peak of 10,000
> reqs/second and response that takes no less then 250milliseconds.  We
> have an backend engine that can do that all what we need to put in front
> is a restful web layer.  Because of the beauti of Catalyst got this
> working in a day or two.  However to scaling is not going to work in the
> current state.
>
> I'm not using any of Catalyst plugins, just the vanilla Catalyst and its
> MVC framework.  I don't know if it would be better to hack through
> Catalyst and remove the parts I don't need for this project.  Or write
> another very simple webframework re-create the parts of Catalyst I do use.

Right, ok, you're actually one of the special cases where the framework
overhead actually does matter then. Sorry, 99% of the people benching
hello world aren't so I tend to assume :)

There are two things you can do then - (1) throw Devel::NYTProf at your
app and see if there's a specific bit of Catalyst that needs optimising,
which we'd be happy to help with, (2) take HTTP::Engine and Path::Dispatcher
and roll your own, treating Catalyst as your fast prototyping tool.

> >Catalyst is threadsafe. Your DBD:: may not be, or something else you
> >load. But FastCGI is a much better production environment than mod_perl
> >anyway.
> >
> Not using a DBD::  Just try out the base Catalyst example, created when
> you start a new project.

Well, if Catalyst wasn't threadsafe we'd hear screaming from the people
on win32, so in the absence of screaming I'm happy to assume it is :)