[Catalyst-dev] Re: Plugins vs. Engines, Dispatchers...

Aristotle Pagaltzis pagaltzis at gmx.de
Mon Mar 29 12:57:25 GMT 2010

* Darren Duncan <darren at darrenduncan.net> [2010-03-06 23:10]:
> I seem to recall you can explicitly encode into your HTTP
> header or your HTML forms as to what text encoding you want
> data submitted with. At least, I know (just checked) that an
> HTML "form" tag can have "enctype" and "accept-charset"
> attributes, and so you can at least tell clients what you
> expect them to send you.

That’s only in theory unfortunately. In practice browsers will
typically send data in the same encoding that they received the
page in, but even that isn’t entirely certain. (I don’t recall
the specifics, only that that rule of thumb works in most cases
and that the other cases are a big mess.) The only 100% reliable
solution is <http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?Encode::HEBCI>.

Regards,