[Catalyst-dev] Google Summer of Code projects

Christiaan Kras c.kras at pcc-online.net
Sat Feb 25 15:14:10 GMT 2012

Hello list,

I'm considering on doing this years Google Summer of Code and would =

prefer to do something with Perl.

A little about myself:

I'm a 24 years old first years Computer Science student. I've worked =

full time for a little over 4 years for what was mainly a PHP shop, but =

managed to get some Perl in there as well. The last 3 years I worked =

there I was running the show alone. My colleague had left for a career =

change and he never got replaced.

In my time there I've done a few things with Perl. Mainly some server =

scripts but also a small Catalyst webservice and a small but useful Wx =

Widgets project (it scans a PDF, strips invoices and mails them to the =

belonging customer).

I also maintain a couple of CPAN modules (PAUSE handle is CKRAS). I've =

done also done a mid-sized project in Catalyst called Maximus =

(http://maximus.htbaa.com) which is a CPAN kind of toolkit for BlitzMax.

Going through the list of projects on =

http://wiki.enlightenedperl.org/gsoc2012/ideas one thing that caught my =

attention was this:
> Refactor how configuration loading is done. Currently it requires the =

> full application to be loaded, which makes it impossible to use the =

> normal configuration tools in, for example, scripts that are supposed =

> to spin up an application.
It's actually something I've run in against with Maximus and other work =

related Catalyst stuff. I'm aware that last years GSoC had a =

Bread::Board integration project for Catalyst. How did this end up?

I might be interested in picking this one up for this years GSoC. But =

would also like to know if there are other projects available.

-- =

Christiaan Kras
http://blog.htbaa.com