[Catalyst-dev] Re: When will Catalyst reach 6.0?

Aristotle Pagaltzis pagaltzis at gmx.de
Tue Dec 17 03:16:00 GMT 2013

Hi John,

* John Napiorkowski <jjn1056 at yahoo.com> [2013-12-17 03:15]:
> However I'd like to find out what it buys us. Like, I'd imagine the
> next three stable releases of Catalyst would follow the trend
> existing, and go like this:
>
> 5.90060
> 5.90070
> 5.90080
>
> What would we propose they be instead? And how is it better (its been
> said the current system is broken in a way that cause trouble.)

the current system isn’t *broken* per se. But it’s ugly. It’s not ugly
in a way that is very important, but it’s still ugly. I noticed that
I can never quite keep straight what was added in what version. All
those version numbers are identical to the 4th fractional digit. The
major weight visually is on the 5.9 part, and it’s been 5.9 forever now.

If you were involved in the work yourself, that may not even register as
a bother, since it’s much easier to keep track of fiddly details when
you have context for them due to immersion. For people further away from
the matter, though, with version numbers so sameish, it gets hard to not
see just a blur of indistinct 5.9somethings.

I’d propose the following:

  5.90060  →  6.000
  5.90061  →  6.001
  5.90070  →  6.100
  5.90071  →  6.101
  5.90072  →  6.102
  5.90080  →  6.200

Basically as far as users care it would become 6.0, 6.1, 6.2 etc. That
make these releases look like fairly separate versions at a glance,
rather than teeny tiny iterations on a huge 5.9 series. So it gets much
easier to remember what was added when.

Regards,