[Catalyst] 4 vs 5

Sebastian Riedel sri at oook.de
Thu Apr 7 21:15:36 CEST 2005

Am 07.04.2005 um 18:56 schrieb Alan Humphrey:
> 1)       How stable is it?  It’s call “beta” but it seems like pretty
> fundamental questions are still being answered.

The core is quite stable (imo), only tests and file uploads with apace
are actually broken.

Right now i wouldn't suggest usage for a "critical" app.
But that may change until next week.

> 2)       What will the upgrade path look like?  Will I end up recoding
> a bunch of stuff anyway once 5 is officially released?

The biggest difference is the new action syntax, from

     MyApp->action( 'foo' => sub {} );

     sub foo : Global {}

and stuff like that, people who already ported told me that it's no big
deal.

> I’ll be starting the project on the 18th (a week from this coming
> Monday) if that makes any difference.

Well, the release was planned for tomorrow.

But actually we are waiting for Christian Hansen, his mail address
is.... :P
He promised to finish a new test suite with a few hundred tests, so
it's worth waiting.

--
sebastian