[Catalyst] Engine/CGI and query+post params

Torsten Seemann torsten.seemann at infotech.monash.edu.au
Wed Apr 13 00:38:07 CEST 2005

Sebastian Riedel wrote:
> Don't take the the plugins i write as the one way to go, Catalyst is a
> component system, so they are mostly just examples, showing whats possible.
> Everybody is not just free to subclass and extend them, everybody is
> encouraged to do so! ;)

I agree that one of the problems with Maypole was that many users
expected the supplied templates and classes to automagically do
everything they wanted, and that is just not feasible.

However if there is something that many Catalyst users will want
to do in a very similar manner (eg. authentication with roles), it is
advantageous for that effort to be concentrated into a re-usable,
downloadable module. And if done properly, everybody wins. Many
people just want to get the job done.

I would hate to see Catalyst end up like "a neat operating system with
no tools or apps". But I don't necessarily expect the Catalyst authors
to be responsible for these modules - but in the early stages perhaps
they need to, especially at the rate the Catalyst changes.

--Torsten Seemann