[Catalyst] From the beginning...

LD ldsift-perl at yahoo.com.au
Wed Apr 13 01:11:47 CEST 2005

Hi all,

I've just recently discovered Catalyst, stumbling over it by accident
actually, whilst looking through the Docs for Class::DBI.

Coming from WebObjects, which is heavily architected around MVC,
Catalyst appeals to me. I don't yet know enough about Catalyst to
really compare the two, no thanks to the sparse Docs. So, one's free
and been around for a short time with little info; the other's
relatively inexpensive, is tried and tested and has relatively good
docs - will have to do for now :-)

Anyway, I'm wondering about deployment. I've installed Catalyst 4.34...
(but seeing as version 5 is looking near done from the mailing list
posts I've seen - I think I'd like to start with it... how?)

The ISP my company uses supports perl, but I'd guess that not many ISPs
will have Bundle::Catalyst installed. I'm developing on Mac OS X 10.3
and after 'install Bundle::Catalyst' it's found at
/Library/Perl/5.8.1/Catalyst/ but naturally some of its dependencies
will be elsewhere.

So what I'm hoping is that someone might have (or if not be able to
suggest) a script that builds a self contained directory containing the
catalyst app and the necessary dependencies (analogous to creating a
SSDD [Servlet Single Directory Deployment] project in WebObjects for
J2EE integration).

Any thoughts?

On a side note - is anyone working on documentation? It would be a
shame for a seemingly great project to miss that mark. I'm thinking of
writing up a tutorial similar to the WebObjects Web Applications intro
tutorial once I get my head around a few more things.

Thanks,
LD