[Catalyst] Bing!

Christopher H. Laco claco at chrislaco.com
Wed Aug 10 22:17:07 CEST 2005

David Storrs wrote:
> New user myself, still learning.  You say that you've done webdev on
> other platforms "where the seperation of  code/content/style is well
> achieved", and then you later say that "making a web app is fun
> again"--the implication is that it had ceased to be fun on those  other
> platforms?  Why is that?  What are the things you especially  like about
> Catalyst?  I ask because I'm looking for specific talking  points as I
> try to sell Cat to my clients.
>
> --Dks

Well, first, I'm sure that learning something new is part of it. That's
always more fun than the same old drudge. :-)

Up till now, I've spent time with ASP, ASP.NET 1/2, a little TT, and AxKit.

I first learned AxKit because it was perl, and I really like the fact
that the code went into Taglibs (perl modules), the taglibs were used in
XSP pages, and the XML output from the XSP pages were sent through XSLT.
That's pretty good seperation, but writing taglibs is just a little more
work than just writing a perl module depending on the project.

ASP.NET provided a good seperation of code from presentation over ASP
via codebehind pages. Like most things MS, either you're using Studio
and accepting the HTML it churns out, or you're not happy. ASP.NET 2.0
is fixing most of that.

In both cases above, you're still tied tightly to the URL handler
mechanism on the server. The url is your page. There are ways around
that with HttpHandlers, mod_rewrite, ModPerl Handlers and such, but
those need extra config somewhere else on the server.

Catalyst provides that seperation in the controllers you write without
any extra hocus pocus needed elsewhere. The other factor is the the View
in Catalyst is more seperated from the Model than most platforms. I
can't just toss TT output into AxKit or ASP.NET [at the moment]. I'm
curious to try our other views also. I'm not sure designers need to have
to futz with TT tags either...custom HTMl/XML tags fit more into the
world of the non-programming people who would be doing the html/css/views.

That's all I know for only spending an hour on it so far. I'll know more
after I get a demo site together for my other project.

-=Chris