[Catalyst] Bing!

David Storrs dstorrs at dstorrs.com
Thu Aug 11 04:09:11 CEST 2005

On Aug 10, 2005, at 9:46 PM, Luis Campos de Carvalho wrote:
> Perrin Harkins wrote:
>> On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 16:17 -0400, Christopher H. Laco wrote:
>>> Catalyst provides that seperation in the controllers you write
>>> without any extra hocus pocus needed elsewhere. The other factor
>>> is the the View in Catalyst is more seperated from the Model than
>>> most platforms.
>>>
>> This is the major benefit of using an MVC-based system.  Any page-
>> based
>> system will be much tighter coupled between the model and view.
>
>   Uh? It seems that I'm doing something kinda wrong, since I'm
> registering my Model methods as Local and pointing url's to them...
> Shall I always write Controller methods to handle my urls, never
> relaying on the Catalyst Dispatcher for this job?

I think this question is very similar to the "where should the
business logic go?" thread, summarized here: http://
dev.catalyst.perl.org/wiki/NecessaryBackgroundKnowledge  under the
section: "The MVC Pattern".

The answer, of course, is that it very much depends.  Where do you
want your business logic to be, in the Model or in the Controller?
If the former, then what you are doing makes a lot of sense.  If the
latter...it may still make sense, depending on what those URLs that
you are pointing at the Model do.

--Dks