[Catalyst] File downloads - Plugin?

Toby Corkindale tjc at wintrmute.net
Thu Aug 18 15:55:58 CEST 2005

On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 06:52:32AM -0500, samwyse wrote:
> On 8/11/05, Toby Corkindale <tjc at wintrmute.net> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I'm in a position where I'd like to serve file downloads, out of database
> > BLOBs, via Catalyst.
> >
> > These files are potentially very large, and so I would rather not suck the
> > entire lot of data out of the DB and into Catalyst's $c->response->output()
> > variable.
>
> If you want to serve things via Catalyst, I'd expect the data to pass
> through Catalyst.  If you want to get Catalyst out of the way, then
> I'd look towards alternate methods of serving.  In other words, handle
> it in much the same way that static data is handled, because that's
> what it is:  static data that just happens to be kept in a database
> instead of a filesystem.

Ah, the thing is, I'd like to continue to use Catalyst for the authentication
and session management in regards to retrieving these files - plus there is
metadata associated with the files-in-database that is accessed/modified when
you go to download the file.

It'd just be.. nice.. if I could do it thru Catalyst.

tjc

--
Turning and turning in the widening gyre/The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart, the centre cannot hold/Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world