[Catalyst] Bing!

Philip Edelbrock phil at edgedesign.us
Sat Aug 13 01:57:19 CEST 2005

Kyle Maxwell wrote:
> [...]
> * Sometimes the Ruby libraries are inadequate.  I ran into this with PDF
> generation.  Ruby is easy to extend with C libraries.  I prefer to setup
> PHP on the same server, and run stuff like PDF generation as a web
> service off a different port.

(I don't mean to nit-pick, I'm just trying to wrap my head around this.)

Is it uncommon to use PHP or (Perl) CGI's for things not handled in the
Ruby libraries?  BTW- This seems to contradict your earlier statement
"Ruby on Rails is extendable. ... It was easy", although I could imagine
that PDF generation isn't trivial if the libs aren't there.

Also, would you consider RoR to be fairly 'beta' right now?  I.e., is
functionality and API's still in flux a bit?

PS-What templating options are there in RoR?  I see rhtml files in the
documentation, but it's not clear if that's a single (and only)
templating option.

Phil