[Catalyst] Move MVC Thoughts

Perrin Harkins perrin at elem.com
Mon Aug 29 04:07:14 CEST 2005

Christopher H. Laco wrote:
> So here I am at $work thinking about ASP.NET and it's comparison to MVC.
> Then I stumbled across this:
>
>     http://www.rc3.org/2005/08/the_mvc_penalty.php
>
> ASP.NET quicker than MVC? MVC is a burden? That can't be.

All he's claiming here is that they get things out the door faster by
not using any abstraction.  That shouldn't surprise anyone.  The ASP
style of in-line code in the HTML, where you have no objects to speak of
and the SQL is just mixed in with everything else, is almost certainly
the faster way to develop things.  I'm guessing that these people aren't
using the new ASP.NET stuff either, with "code-behind pages" and
stateful controls, since those would slow things down a bit.  He could
have said PHP (or Mason, if you use that style with it) just as easilly
as ASP.NET.

That sort of approach doesn't become a problem until later when you need
to support your app and add features, or hire more than a couple of
people to work on a single project.  Then you discover your code is a
mess and you can't make changes without breaking it all because you have
no abstractions.

I'd say most Perl MVC tools fall somewhere in between the J2EE version
of MVC and the in-line code style.  The J2EE stuff tends to use a more
traditional idea of the model classes, rather than the
one-table-one-class, record-set approach that you get with Class::DBI
and friends.  Building the J2EE model could take more time because they
are often "real" objects with behaviors and such, rather than just a
representation of your database.

- Perrin