[Catalyst] Possibly OT: DB schemas for tags

samwyse samwyse at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 14:03:12 CEST 2005

http://tagschema.com/blogs/tagschema/

This is interesting on several levels.  First, there's a pretty
detailed analysis of how to "properly" integrate tags into a db
schema.  The guy is supposed to be a data warehousing guru, so one
expects that he understands how to scale things upwards.  Second, he's
promoting something called "Data 2.0" which I hadn't heard of before,
but seems to overlap some of the stuff being done with Catalyst,
Rails, etc.  Most of the frameworks that I've looked at use "sensible"
naming conventions to communicate semantic information between the
developer and the framework; it looks like this may be taking that
idea to the next level.  If nothing else, there are some interesting
ideas for relationships beyond 'has_a' and its friends.

This looks like it could be used to kick off a tagging scaffold,
similar to the shopping cart that been discussed the past few days.  I
just wish that I had the time to work on it.