[Catalyst] RFC: Catalyst::Model::LDAP

Christopher Heschong chris at wiw.org
Tue Aug 30 01:43:49 CEST 2005

Yay!  Once this stabilizes, someone should port the
Catalyst::Plugin::Authentication::LDAP class to use this instead.  I
will be testing this tomorrow and will provide a little more feedback
then.

As a side note, I've discovered that key-based caching is fairly
important in Catalyst for LDAP model classes.  Take for instance a
table which has a user attribute which might have a has_a
relationship to a MyApp::M::LDAP object.  If 20 objects all have the
same user attribute, you end up with 20 distinct, yet identical
copies an LDAP user object, along with the associated overhead of 20
calls to the LDAP database.   Ouch.

20 calls to ->search('(sn=Test)') should ideally return 20 references
to a single object, rather than 20 distinct but identical objects.
Cache::FastMmap works pretty well for this for me.

IMHO that will be a vital addition for use within a Catalyst-centric
development perspective.