[Catalyst] O'Reilly Radar

apv apv at sedition.com
Thu Dec 8 21:01:18 CET 2005

Just to put the idea out there. Today, it's not even really necessary
to have a publisher. The main benefits are the distribution and
automatic market. But, of course, you do give up a huge chunk of the
money too.

A Catalyst book could be put together by the core developers, typeset
(by, say, me--it's been years but I've done a couple of published
textbooks), proofed/reviewed (ask a few of the senior PerlMonks), and
printed (many places out there now) for just a few dollars a piece and
sold for $20-$40 through programs that make them widely available like
Amazon.com's Advantage.

Writing/Making a good book is a lot of work and doing it yourself makes
it even more work but it's certainly possible.

Also, I think Manning's Perl books (I have three) are as good or even
better than many of O'Reilly's (I have almost all of them). It's worth
checking in with them if you haven't.

-Ashley