[Catalyst] [ANNOUNCE] Meios Photo Gallery App

Wade.Stuart at fallon.com Wade.Stuart at fallon.com
Tue Dec 13 19:20:59 CET 2005

catalyst-bounces at lists.rawmode.org wrote on 12/13/2005 10:19:54 AM:

> Thomas, Mark - BLS CTR wrote:
> > Excellent! I'll check it out.
> >
> > One question, though. Would you consider using Imager.pm
> > (http://imager.perl.org) as the imager (or at least one of the
choices)?
> > It's more powerful (and faster) than GD and more portable than
> > ImageMagick.
> >
> > I have switched to it for all my image-manipulation needs and never
> > looked back.
> >
> > - Mark.
>
> That's the second request for Imager. The only reason I went with
> Image::Thumbnail was because it could use GD or Image::Magick depending
> on what was installed. I just wanted to be somewhat flexible to avoid
> the "Best Image Manip Module, I don't have x installed, I use y" wars.
>
> How does it do in terms of quality? I know thumbs made with GD suck
> serious butt, and for me the Image::Magick ones had pretty good qaality.
>
> I'll look into it this evening. It should take very much to use it,
> since there's just one sub:  Meios::Photo->make_thumbnail

Imager build sucks on some platforms (Mac OS X) and you go from supporting
120+ formats to I think like 8.  It may seem like its cool to just support
images -- but it turns out to be very cool to add supported types very
easily
with Imagemagick -- IE there is no reason you could not change a few lines
of code and support PDF,

http://www.imagemagick.org/script/formats.php

I guess it is up to you -- in my mind it is a trade off between a little
bit
easier install on most platforms for a whole lot of image types lost.

http://www.imagemagick.org/script/binary-releases.php