[Catalyst] [RFC] C::P::Scheduler - cron-like scheduling of events

Andy Grundman andy at hybridized.org
Wed Dec 14 03:12:14 CET 2005

Sam Vilain wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 10:21 -0500, Andy Grundman wrote:
>>> Also, how does it get initiated?
>> Every request the plugin checks if the current time is at or past the
>> run time for a scheduled event.  If so, it runs the action/coderef for
>> the event and marks it as completed in the state file.
>
> Hmm, that seems like a hack.  Perhaps a supervisor process should take
> care of this, and the supervisor process itself could be based on
> something like Event.pm.  Then the per-request activity is "do I have a
> supervisor?  If not, quickly make one and carry on."
>
> The supervisor process could be used to control process groups for
> server back-ends, and co-ordinating other "asynchronous activity" such
> as running long-running queries using a nice API.
>
> The supervisor could resemble an ORB, I guess.

Well I want this plugin to be simple, cross-platform, and work under all
engines.  You could certainly write a POE-based backend for these things
if you have the need.  I actually have a POE backend for one of my Cat
apps that does complex auth checking for many users.  Definitely the way
to go for async stuff.

-Andy