[Catalyst] The state of the docs (was: Business Point of View)

Johan Lindström johanl at DarSerMan.com
Fri Dec 16 00:00:30 CET 2005

At 21:24 2005-12-15, Ovid wrote:
>Which is why I'm rather disappointed that, despite the Grant Committee
>waving cash at people, I've not heard any reponse to my suggestion that
>someone apply for a Catalyst Documentation grant.

I'm not applying or anything, but I'm interested in getting the docs better.

So, since you're new to Catalyst and possibly remember the early confusion:
what's missing from the intro docs? What overview/introduction do you now
realize you could have benefitted from? What do you miss right now?

Personally, I think Cat needs a better/more thorough
cookbook/patterns/whatever section that looks at different issues/concepts
facing people who are about to write their first web app, and how these
issues map to Catalyst. It would be both an introduction to the concepts of
web applicatons, and a
I-know-what-I-want-to-do-but-how-is-it-done-in-Catalyst? kind of document.

Phaylon posted this a few weeks back:
http://www.dunkelheit.at/pub/tmwoc.txt
I think it would be a great starting point for better documentation. Maybe
if we put the structure in the wiki and encouraged people to just write
what they know about?

/J