[Catalyst] The state of the docs (was: Business Point of View)

Kaare Rasmussen kaare at jasonic.dk
Fri Dec 16 01:10:32 CET 2005

> So, since you're new to Catalyst and possibly remember the early confusion:
> what's missing from the intro docs? What overview/introduction do you now
> realize you could have benefitted from? What do you miss right now?

I'm new to Catalyst (and TT to make matters worse) so I'll answer this one.

The documentation that I've read seems very good,  thorough and to the point.
One thing that makes me very uncertain is that Catalyst is obviously in a
flux. Making me think if I can rely on the information, or if it has been
surpassed by new development.

As a developer, I'd like to see examples, code and stuff. Eventually I'm
finding it, but it's a frustrating period when you're googling or using
search.cpan.org and trying to extract the usable from the unusable.

I guess that there's not a lot to do about that, except maybe to have a "Best
Practices" section on the home page with
- An easy example for different kinds of applications.
- An easy example for common problems.

The Advent Calendar is great stuff, something like this ought to go to the web
page in an ordered manner.

There are also some films demonstrating the power of Catalyst. again, great
stuff.

I'm not really complaining because I realize that Catalyst is a work in
progress and there's new development every day. We don't have a full time
(paid) staff sitting around organizing the documentation and web page, but
you asked what I think is missing :-)

But people have to live with stupid questions from someone like me. Someone
seeing the possibilities but who want to have a little knowledge from those
who's been there already.

Btw. I also really miss to see "big" applications written in Catalyst. Some
CMS'es, Wikis, web forums and the like. I hope they're arriving so the
Catalyst web page can be Catalyst powered.

--

Med venlig hilsen
Kaare Rasmussen, Jasonic

Jasonic                 Telefon: +45 3816 2582
Nordre Fasanvej 12
2000 Frederiksberg      Email: kaare at jasonic.dk