[Catalyst] Authentication gotchas

Yuval Kogman nothingmuch at woobling.org
Sat Dec 17 20:27:31 CET 2005

On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 08:29:20 -0800, John Wang wrote:
> Is inheriting all the plugins the way to go? It seems like there are
> situations where an app will use a lot of plugins and it might be difficult
> for the various plugin writers to ensure there are no namespace collisions
> with every other plugin out there.

The benefit of doing it this way is that it's very easy to set up
the infrastructure: configuration, class data, instance data - it's
all in an easy to get place, without writing lots of code or jumping
through magical hoops which only a select few know how to really
use.

This makes writing catalyst plugins easy enough that just about
anyone can get something which is Good Enough out the door.

It also makes plugin users have a Good Enough convention, so that
they can start using plugins very very fast.

What we can do is add a bit to the magicness, and rebless the
context object as it enters controllers with different plugin
requirements. Then we only have to make sure the object guts have no
namespace clashes, but this can be worked around using a convention
of some sort (for example Catalyst::Accessor's mk_accessors prefixes
the caller class name to the attribute keys, provided we have a
standard accessor base class).

On the implementation side we should have lexically scoped handles
that will unrebless an object when they are DESTROYed, so that the
return from ->forward, even if an exception is raised, is always
consistent.

catalyst-dev: are you getting all this?

 /\  kung foo master: /me does not drink tibetian laxative tea: neeyah!