[Catalyst] Authentication gotchas

Wade.Stuart at fallon.com Wade.Stuart at fallon.com
Mon Dec 19 18:17:53 CET 2005

catalyst-bounces at lists.rawmode.org wrote on 12/17/2005 10:29:20 AM:

> Is inheriting all the plugins the way to go? It seems like there are
> situations where an app will use a lot of plugins and it might be
> difficult for the various plugin writers to ensure there are no
> namespace collisions with every other plugin out there.
>
> I like the general situation where each plugin is granted a single
> $c level accessor, e.g. C::P::Prototype where everything is accessed
> through that accessor, like $c->prototype->method. This is easy to
> do when there is a C::Plugin wrapper, however it would be nice if
> that was the default behavior when a wrapper isn't used. A benefit
> of this is when an app would like to change the plugin accessor
> name, you just need to change it in a single location and everything
> will still work.

Or how about a maintained list of acessors.  First come first
serve -- like CPAN.  Authors can request and own namespaces,  if
someone else uses the same namespace they must extend the previous
accessors.  It seems like it would KISS with low overhead.  If you
want to develop a new plugin you go to the cat website and request
your new accessor.  It also would give us all a full list of
accessors that are used in the wild to try to avoid overlaps.

-Wade