[Catalyst] Standalone Install Package?

Christopher H. Laco claco at chrislaco.com
Mon Dec 19 18:21:29 CET 2005

Michael Richards wrote:
> On 12/19/05, Christopher H. Laco <claco at chrislaco.com> wrote:
>> After the email about a user switching to RoR because of all of the
>> [perceived?] install hassles on a shared host, I've been thinking about
>> if it would be nice to have an unzip-and-run version of Catalyst with
>> all of it's dependencies in the package itself.
>>

> I may have misunderstood, but I thought the problem was that most shared
> hosts don't provide the necessary prerequisites, such as mod_perl or
> FastCGI. Yes, it can work in CGI mode but does anybody actually do that for
> a real app?

Having always run my own servers, I've never dabbled in shared hosting
issues. I would guess that most hosts have mod_perl or FastCGI installed
if they 'support perl'. I would also guess that the issue is convincing
them to upgrade a load of perl modules just for the person who wants to
run Catalyst, or the latest Catalyst which have a lot of dependency
shifts upwards.

Some users can install most of the dependencies using PREFIX, its
flavour of module installer is working. Some users may not.

I guess my main thought is to get as much of it into a prepackage
version as possible and help people remove any excuses they, their
bosses, their hosts might have with using Catalyst instead of Rails
because RoR is already there.

-=Chris