[Catalyst] Standalone Install Package?

Michael Richards mdrichards at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 18:51:08 CET 2005

On 12/19/05, Christopher H. Laco <claco at chrislaco.com> wrote:

> Michael Richards wrote:
> > On 12/19/05, Christopher H. Laco <claco at chrislaco.com> wrote:
> >> After the email about a user switching to RoR because of all of the
> >> [perceived?] install hassles on a shared host, I've been thinking about
> >> if it would be nice to have an unzip-and-run version of Catalyst with
> >> all of it's dependencies in the package itself.
> >>

> > I may have misunderstood, but I thought the problem was that most shared
> > hosts don't provide the necessary prerequisites, such as mod_perl or
> > FastCGI. Yes, it can work in CGI mode but does anybody actually do that
> for
> > a real app?
> >

> Having always run my own servers, I've never dabbled in shared hosting
> issues. I would guess that most hosts have mod_perl or FastCGI installed
> if they 'support perl'. I would also guess that the issue is convincing
> them to upgrade a load of perl modules just for the person who wants to
> run Catalyst, or the latest Catalyst which have a lot of dependency
> shifts upwards.

I haven't used a lot of different shared hosts, but none that I have used
provide either. This includes one that not only "supports perl" for users
but also is a big supporter of
perl in general, proving free service to things like The Perl Review and a
public CPAN mirror. The problem is that it's hard to provide these in a
shared environment in a way that protects the users from themselves and each
other, and protects the server performance. The result is that a lot of the
ones that do provide them don't do a very good job of it.