[Catalyst] A few questions (possibly a FAQ)

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Mon Dec 19 19:47:59 CET 2005

Daniel Westermann-Clark wrote:
> On 2005-12-19 12:59:08 -0500, Joe Landman wrote:
>> First: I would like to set up a web site served by Apache (actually
>> a virtual server) to serve the Catalyst application.  What
>> configuration do we need to do with the apache conf files to make
>> this happen?
>
> Take a look at the POD for Catalyst::Engine::Apache:
>
> http://search.cpan.org/dist/Catalyst-Engine-Apache/lib/Catalyst/Engine/Apache/MP13.pm

Thanks.

>> Second: We wrote a few modules we need for our work.  Should I have
>> the main MyApp.pm use them?
>
> Does your main MyApp code depend on them directly?  Or is the code
> needed only in e.g. your controllers?  Use them in the appropriate
> modules to better track dependencies.

Great!

>> Should we put these as PerlModule constructs in our config file?
>
> When you do 'PerlModule MyApp', mod_perl preloads your entire
> application, so you don't need specified PerlModule calls for
> dependent modules.

:)  Ok, I had misunderstood this.  Makes it a bit easier I'd bet, I will
experiment with this in a few minutes.

>> Third:  Were do we report bugs/suggest changes in documentation?
>
> Patches are preferred, generally people send them to this list.

Ok.

>> Finally: Any hope of getting a consistent Bundle::Catalyst?  I had
>> to do some surgery by hand to fix some things with the installation.
>
> Bundle::Catalyst is deprecated, though you wouldn't know that from
> CPAN.  Task::Catalyst is the preferred installation method if you want
> a big ball of modules.

Ah......

> On a related note, would it work to release a new version of
> Bundle::Catalyst which pulls in Task::Catalyst?  I can't think of any
> reason why it wouldn't.

Ok, I would like to see that (or just remove Bundle::Catalyst, though I
thought Bundle::* was the standard method to get usable complex
environments out of CPAN)

FWIW:  We have a large makefile which largely builds from source now and
(should) generates a functional Catalyst tree.  We ship our application
in its own directory to avoid systemic conflicts.

Joe

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO