[Catalyst] Standalone Install Package?

apv apv at sedition.com
Mon Dec 19 19:56:11 CET 2005

FastCGI for Perl is broken on Dreamhost and though I like them in
general they are not very responsive about fixing that kind of thing.
I did install Catalyst there last week in my own directories. The
main problem I had, which would have dissuaded me from
continuing a year or two ago before I knew more about building
modules, was that the prerequisites have different build systems.

So using the CPAN shell I had to toggle local installation variables
back
and forth and install some of the prereqs one at a time. It wasn't
difficult
per se but it was a decent stumbling block. I also noticed a pretty big
inflation of prerequisites in the recent versions.

I think a bundle/distribution with all the needed modules would be
great.

I will be running a couple Catalyst applications under CGI which is why
I'm using the base class end () to write out flat files for everything
but
forms. That way it's a dynamic site for first requests for a resource
and a real static site afterwards. The forms trigger file deletions so
that the static elements are updated.

I'd rather use mod_perl. A big plus for Catalyst in my view is that I
can develop in CGI and then switch over to mp if the site is working
out successfully. I might go with these guys eventually:
   http://johncompanies.com/
to do it. Any other sites would make a great list in the Wiki.
   http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/wiki/modperlHosts

-Ashley