[Catalyst] Standalone Install Package?

Christopher H. Laco claco at chrislaco.com
Mon Dec 19 20:20:24 CET 2005

Matt S Trout wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 02:09:03PM -0500, Christopher H. Laco wrote:
>> Sebastian Riedel wrote:
>>> But Schroedinger's cat is dead!
>>>
>>> Maybe Garfield...

>>> No need to manually modify @INC, just look how blib trees are
>>> constructed (darwin-thread-multi-2level/...).
>>> But this would require a build cluster... :/
>> Right, but sometimes they're not that specific.
>> For example, a ppm on win32 has blib/auto/HTML/Parser/Parser.dll There's
>> nothing platform specific about that blib directory. I think blib
>> structures are a crap shoot at best.
>>
>> But, at the very least, that brings us down to 2 big blobs of stuff for
>> an  unzip-and-run, which is still better than that install/upgrade
>> modules for days.
>
> Why can't we just use perl's "include the following modules to be installed
> along with this copy of perl" function and static compile stuff? That should
> mean e.g. a single linux-2.4+ package should be possible.

That would slow down upgrades though wouldn't it? Every time something
new is out, we need a new compiled perl with all the stuffs in it.

THe opposite of that is that it's easier to get a svn directory up to
date with the current version of each module...or at least automate the
fetching of each of them into a package without worrying about compiling
stuff everwhere.

That's just me though... :-)