[Catalyst] Re: build system - was: A few questions (possibly a FAQ)

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Tue Dec 20 15:05:11 CET 2005

Hi Uwe:

Uwe Voelker wrote:
> Hello Joe,
>
>>   Right now it is part of a larger build environment which builds a
>> working 5.8.7 perl with many modules we need for our product (working in
>> the sense of the right options are used for our application, which
>> include threading, large ints, etc. which the various distributions
>
> Okay, so I would disable threading and I guess large ints are standard
> on sparc64.

Not always, this is why we needed to build Perl as well.  However, the
Catalyst build part simply assumes you have started with a working Perl.

[...]

>>    I am trying to get it to build a working Catalyst install (not a
>> minimalistic one, but a fully functional one), and have discovered the
>> joy of dependency purgatory.  Makes Mason's dependency tree look tame
>> (its not).
>
> Yes, and for the plugins / ORM you need some more...
> :-)

I am thinking about how to automate this.  Right now it is the 4
windows, command history, and a web browser :(

>>   This system will (upon completion) generate a competely functional
>> Perl tree + all our modules.  It wouldn't be hard to separate it out so
>> that it built a completely functional Perl tree + Catalyst modules.   If
>> someone wants that, please let me know, and we can post it.  It is a
>> work in progress so it might not be fully functional right now (it
>> isn't, as I keep adding little things like authentication).
>
> I'm interested.

Would you be willing to help to make it work?  It is mostly there, apart
from some missing bits, and I am working on that today (in part).

> Does the environment go into chroot, or do you only use your custom perl
> (which has it's private library paths)?

It is a make file, with settable perl installation paths.  It should
work in chroot environment, though I haven't tried it.

Let me finish the refactoring, and I will send out an email in a few
hours.  If it is not too messy, and you want to help make it work
better, that would be great.

Joe

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D