[Catalyst] Perl 5.8.1 Requirement

A. Pagaltzis pagaltzis at gmx.de
Wed Dec 21 23:28:36 CET 2005

* Brandon Black <blblack at gmail.com> [2005-12-21 23:20]:
> Aside from the specifics that Catalyst might need, perl 5.8.0
> is a bad thing to be running in general if you can at all avoid
> it. 5.8.1 fixed a boatload of internal things that were buggy
> in 5.8.0, including some memory leaks.

It also fixes a bunch of brokenness regarding the improved
Unicode support in the 5.8.x branch. That alone is reason for me
to say “I don’t care about any Perl < 5.8.1 except under duress.”
(And then I will still prefer a 5.6.x over 5.8.0 because while
the old way of doing Unicode is klunkier, it’s not broken.)

Regards,