[Catalyst] "Catalyst - The Definitive Guide" and the "Catalyst Cookbook"

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Thu Dec 22 12:50:49 CET 2005

On 12/22/05 6:08 AM, "Sebastian Riedel" <sri at oook.de> wrote:

> 22.12.2005 00:43 Gavin Henry:
>> Catalyst - The Definitive Guide:
>> http://www.suretecsystems.com/our_docs/catalyst-guide-en/index.html
>>
>> Catalyst Cookbook:
>> http://www.suretecsystems.com/our_docs/catalyst-cookbook-en/index.html
>
> Awesome.

I totally agree!  A good table-of-contents still goes a long way.

Is there interest in expanding this?  I think a challenge would be to
continue to expand it while maintaining some generality and still providing
rich code examples.  Could I suggest a few "chapters"--not meant to be a
full list?

AJAX (or dynamic web pages, which might be more general)--would have to
include information (or links) to javascript tutorials and documentation.

Configuration--good to let people know how far you can take this with
catalyst.

Logging and Debugging

Engines and their specifics (configuration examples, for instance)

Model classes--these can be extremely varied and complicated or simple.
Including some models beyond CDBI/DBIC examples would be useful, I think.  I
think many intermediate and advanced perl programmers understand the
importance and strength of a good model.  However, this is probably the most
foreign concept to folks relatively new to MVC and object-oriented
programming.

Tools--a general chapter on tools that people find useful for web
development (like css & xhtml validators, must-have browser plugins,
etc.)--mainly links and brief descriptions....

I am not a web developer, but I do develop web content as part of my work.
There are a number of folks that I know in a similar situation--they want to
develop interactive, well-thought-out web apps with minimal effort, and
catalyst offers the tools to do that.  Having specifics about broad web
development topics as they relate to catalyst all in one place would make
the process even easier.  I guess what I am suggesting is that the Catalyst
community decide what an O'Reilly book would have in it, make this outline
available, and then fill in the content with contributions, being careful to
keep the O'Reilly book concept in mind--a mixture of didactics about general
concepts and examples specific to catalyst development.

Sean