[Catalyst] "Catalyst - The Definitive Guide" and the "Catalyst Cookbook"

Gavin Henry ghenry at perl.me.uk
Thu Dec 22 17:04:03 CET 2005

<quote who="Sean Davis">

> On 12/22/05 6:08 AM, "Sebastian Riedel" <sri at oook.de> wrote:
>

>> 22.12.2005 00:43 Gavin Henry:
>>> Catalyst - The Definitive Guide:
>>> http://www.suretecsystems.com/our_docs/catalyst-guide-en/index.html
>>>
>>> Catalyst Cookbook:
>>> http://www.suretecsystems.com/our_docs/catalyst-cookbook-en/index.html
>>
>> Awesome.
>
> I totally agree!  A good table-of-contents still goes a long way.

That's the goal.

> Is there interest in expanding this?  I think a challenge would be to
> continue to expand it while maintaining some generality and still
> providing
> rich code examples.  Could I suggest a few "chapters"--not meant to be a
> full list?

Of course there is interest. I merely set this up to gets things moving
along, which we are now doing.

I think if Sri etc. can put up a TOC page on the Wiki, we can thrash out
the format there, which will then enable us to delegate chapters/sections
etc.

> AJAX (or dynamic web pages, which might be more general)--would have to
> include information (or links) to javascript tutorials and documentation.

In the Cookbook or Guide?

> Configuration--good to let people know how far you can take this with
> catalyst.

Agreed.

> Logging and Debugging

Yup.

> Engines and their specifics (configuration examples, for instance)

Yup, this is spread out amounst the various modules on the CPAN, so would
be idea to have it's own chapter.

> Model classes--these can be extremely varied and complicated or simple.
> Including some models beyond CDBI/DBIC examples would be useful, I think.

Cookbook?

> think many intermediate and advanced perl programmers understand the
> importance and strength of a good model.  However, this is probably the
> most
> foreign concept to folks relatively new to MVC and object-oriented
> programming.

Was/is for me too.

> Tools--a general chapter on tools that people find useful for web
> development (like css & xhtml validators, must-have browser plugins,
> etc.)--mainly links and brief descriptions....

Maybe an Appendix, as this strays a bit from the main purpose, to present
a complete Guide on Catalyst.

> I am not a web developer, but I do develop web content as part of my work.
> There are a number of folks that I know in a similar situation--they want
> develop interactive, well-thought-out web apps with minimal effort, and
> catalyst offers the tools to do that.  Having specifics about broad web
> development topics as they relate to catalyst all in one place would make
> the process even easier.  I guess what I am suggesting is that the
> Catalyst
> community decide what an O'Reilly book would have in it, make this outline
> available, and then fill in the content with contributions, being careful
> keep the O'Reilly book concept in mind--a mixture of didactics about
> general
> concepts and examples specific to catalyst development.

That expands nicely on what I commented about above, so I take on board
your points.

We coudl have small footnotes, i.e. pointing to the right places to read
around the subject, or have Appendices etc.

Nice comments and ideas.

Gavin.