[Catalyst] "Catalyst - The Definitive Guide" and the "Catalyst Cookbook"

David K Storrs dstorrs at dstorrs.com
Thu Dec 22 17:17:58 CET 2005

On Dec 22, 2005, at 11:04 AM, Gavin Henry wrote:

>> Tools--a general chapter on tools that people find useful for web
>> development (like css & xhtml validators, must-have browser plugins,
>> etc.)--mainly links and brief descriptions....
>
> Maybe an Appendix, as this strays a bit from the main purpose, to
> present
> a complete Guide on Catalyst.

Is this really off topic?  I think it's a matter of choosing our
audience.  If we are exclusively targetting MVC web developers (i.e.,
people who are already familiar with the MVC model, have been doing
web development using frameworks for some time, and can hit the
ground running), then all we need is a "syntax list" for Catalyst.
If we are targetting the broader community of "Perl developers who
would find Catalyst useful for their projects", then this information
is very useful.

I've never been a big fan of Appendices because by their very nature
the information in them is regarded as second-class.  Also, they tend
to have less attention paid to them during document maintenance, IME.

--Dks