[Catalyst] "Catalyst - The Definitive Guide" and the "Catalyst Cookbook"

Charlton Wilbur cwilbur at tortus.com
Fri Dec 23 18:53:11 CET 2005

On Dec 23, 2005, at 10:44 AM, David K Storrs wrote:

> You know...that phrase "toy examples" is starting to become one of
> my personal pet peeves.  The kind of examples I'm thinking of would
> leave you with a fully functional ecommerce site (well, right up to
> the edge of the merchant gateway, anyway) with an up-and-running
> database, scripts to load data in from CSV, the ability to support
> user login, and an attractive interface that was cross-browser/
> cross-platform, and a clean and straightforward way to reskin the
> site as you wish.  How exactly is that a "toy example"?

Having *built* a fully-functional e-commerce site:

You're missing tax calculations, any sort of integration with
shipping, any kind of weird pricing the merchant wants to apply (Buy
these two items and take 10% off the total price!  Buy these things
the week after Christmas and get them for 50% off!  Spend more than
$100 on things from this list, and everything in your order that
isn't already discounted will get 15% off!), any sort of integration
with the merchant's inventory management, any sort of age
verification for selling age-restricted items.

It's a toy example in the way that AI has toy problems: they're
interesting, they demonstrate a principle well, and thinking about
them often winds up producing results that are transferable to a
broader problem domain, but they're insufficient to apply to actual
real-world problems in themselves because they handwave over things
to prove the principle ("right up to the edge of the merchant
gateway, anyway").

"Toy" is not meant as an insult; it's meant as a comment on scope and
assumptions.  That ecommerce example *will* save people time, because
they can jump right to tax calculations and integrating with shipping
and inventory management and such instead of dinking around with HTML
forms and CGI.pm.  But it's a toy because it really won't work as it
stands in the real world, and as soon as you extend the spec to the
point where it will, you're talking a development time on the order
of magnitude of days or weeks rather than hours.

Charlton

--
Charlton Wilbur
cwilbur at tortus.com