[Catalyst] "Catalyst - The Definitive Guide" and the "Catalyst Cookbook"

apv apv at sedition.com
Fri Dec 23 19:18:39 CET 2005

On Friday, December 23, 2005, at 09:53  AM, Charlton Wilbur wrote:
> "Toy" is not meant as an insult; it's meant as a comment on scope and
> assumptions.  That ecommerce example *will* save people time, because
> they can jump right to tax calculations and integrating with shipping
> and inventory management and such instead of dinking around with HTML
> forms and CGI.pm.  But it's a toy because it really won't work as it
> stands in the real world, and as soon as you extend the spec to the
> point where it will, you're talking a development time on the order of
> magnitude of days or weeks rather than hours.

It would be a toy in comparison to Amazon or eBay but the point is
obvious b/c they have a couple million hours of development apiece. It
could be a complete, configure and run, solution for someone doing a
home shop in a PayPal, Cafépress, I'm-doing-my-own-shipping, idiom.
Having configurable tax and shipping variables wouldn't be overly
difficult; it was, by coincidence, the first Perl script I ever wrote,
after fiddling with "Learning Perl" for two weeks, and it happened to
be at Amazon.

WordPress is a toy compared to QuarkXpress but it's driving a big slice
of the web right now. :)

-Ashley