[Catalyst] Running Catalyst on a Shared Server

Thomas Hartman tphyahoo at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 19:09:37 CET 2005

(Originally posted at perlmonks)

I am struggling through running Catalyst on a shared Dreamhost
server, and updating the <a
href="http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/wiki/Dreamhost">Dreamhost</a> entry
on the catalyst wiki with my travails. (Team catalyst gets $97 for
every Dreamhost signup.)

That means I'm a windows guy climbing the unix knowledge curve, at the
same time a ppm guy climbing the CPAN curve... pant pant.

Well, I finally seem to have gotten it installed. (Not the sample
application -- that's tomorrow -- just catalyst.)

It took me a long time, I won't say how long.

I would like to say though, that I wish the existing documentation had
been more forthright about getting through the CPAN install. I think
there are certain quirks of CPAN that are maybe obvious to veterans,
but major stumbling blocks to newbies, and I attempted to describe
them on the wiki.

Well, that is all. I would be interested in hearing the experiences of
others that have gotten Catalyst on dreamhost, and if not there, where
else is Catalyst friendly hosting.

Particularly, I would like suggestions on improving the documentation
there - my contributions were mainly the "Comment on Update" which
describes in detail what you go through with CPAN. Course, you could
just <a href="http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/wiki/Dreamhost">edit the
wiki</a> :)

Over and out...