[Catalyst] Module::Install and prerequisites for BookDB example

Kevin Old kevinold at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 21:32:21 CET 2005

Hello everyone,

I wanted to test out Module::Install and how it works with a Catalyst
project so I downloaded the BookDB example from the repository and
did:

catalyst.pl -force -makefile BookDB

as it suggested when I corrected the missing curly brace in Build.PL
and then ran "perl Makefile.PL".

I now have a new Makefile.PL:

use inc::Module::Install;

name('BookDB');
abstract('Catalyst Application');
author('root');
version_from('lib/BookDB.pm');
license('perl');

include('ExtUtils::AutoInstall');

requires( Catalyst => '5.60' );

catalyst_files();

install_script( glob('script/*.pl') );
auto_install();
&WriteAll;

Looking at the old Build.PL (the one in svn) there are several
requirements, so I moved them into Makefile.PL:

use inc::Module::Install;

name('BookDB');
abstract('Catalyst Application');

author('root');
version_from('lib/BookDB.pm');
license('perl');

include('ExtUtils::AutoInstall');

requires( Catalyst => '5.60' );
requires( Catalyst::View::TT );
requires( Catalyst::Model::CDBI );
requires( Template::Plugin::Class );
requires( Net::Amazon );
requires( Catalyst::Plugin::DefaultEnd );
requires( Catalyst::Plugin::FillInForm );
requires( Catalyst::Plugin::FormValidator );

catalyst_files();

install_script( glob('script/*.pl') );
auto_install();
&WriteAll;

When running this the it installs a few modules, but in the case of
Catalyst::Plugin::FillInForm it does not install HTML::FillInForm and
the same for Catalyst::Plugin::FormValidator and HTML::FormValidator.

The Makefile.PL has the auto_install() line which according to the docs:

Provides auto_install() to automatically fetch and install
prerequisites via CPANPLUS.pm or CPAN.pm, specified either by the
features metadata or by method arguments.

I'd thought about replacing the requires() statements above with
auto_install(), but am not sure if that's what it's suppose to be used
for.

Any help is appreciated,
Kevin
--