[Catalyst] Introductions all around

Joshua J. Kugler jkugler at bigfoot.com
Wed Jul 6 05:13:54 CEST 2005

Hi!  My name is Joshua Kugler and I am currently a sys admin for the
University of Alaska Fairbanks Center for Distance Education.  Although
that has nothing to do with my post.  :)

Perl is my "mother tongue," as it was the first real computer language I
learned (in 1996).  A few months ago I came across Ruby on Rails, and
was very excited with what I saw.  I was about to start on a project,
and the capabilities of Rails were very intriguing.

I had see an article on Maypole, but really didn't like some of the
syntax I saw, so went back to thinking about Rails.  However, I
couldn't motivate myself to try to 1) learn a new language, 2) learn a
new paradigm (MVC), and 3) learn a new framework all at the same time.
I finally toyed with the idea of assembling my own framework (TT,
DbFramework, or similar, and go from there), but that didn't really
excite me either.  I finally entered "perl mvc" in google, and came
across the Catalyst article on Perl.com.  As I read, I was more and
more excited, as I saw a system built on Rails concepts, but using a
language with which I was already familiar.  Learning a framework when
one already knows the language is easier since one is not trying to
determine whether what is being looked at is language syntax or
framework syntax.  And, hey, a mailing list that doesn't generate 100+
messages per day is nice too. :)

So, over the next two or three months, I hopefully will be getting up to
speed with Catalyst.  I'm sure I'll have many questions.  I look
forward to working with you all.

Whoever AndyG is (the one who posted the link to their store on the
Catalyst to-do wiki in response to my example idea), could you post or
e-mail me your code?  What you've done would get me a long ways on my
project.  If you can share, that is.

--
Joshua J. Kugler -- Fairbanks, Alaska -- ICQ#:13706295
Every knee shall bow, and every tongue confess, in heaven, on earth, and