[Catalyst] Introductions all around

Joshua J. Kugler jkugler at bigfoot.com
Thu Jul 7 06:16:35 CEST 2005

On Tuesday 05 July 2005 19:42, Matt S Trout said something like:
> On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 07:13:54PM -0800, Joshua J. Kugler wrote:
> > Perl is my "mother tongue," as it was the first real computer
> > language I learned (in 1996).  A few months ago I came across Ruby
> > on Rails, and was very excited with what I saw.  I was about to
> > start on a project, and the capabilities of Rails were very
> > intriguing.
>
> Don't forget to look at Class::DBI::Sweet - it's a fairly new
> addition to the toolkit but provides prefetch (ala ActiveRecord
> :include) and a bunch of other features you may find handy. Current
> is 0.03 - if your CPAN mirror still says 0.01 find a less laggy one
> :)

I'll be sure to take a look at that.  One of the things by which I've
been very intrigued is Catalyst's ability to have arbitrary modules in
the M and V roles.

I've not looked at Sweet, so I don't know if I'm asking for capability
that already exists, but this is what I'd like in a OR module: the
ability to define how far "down the tree" it retrieves when it goes
looking.  Example: An order object.

Ask for order 42.
Retrieve all information about that order (probably one row in Orders)
Then, retrieve all data about all the order items for that order (i.e.
retrieve all OrderItems where OrderID = 42).
Then, what is returned is (probably) a hash, each entry is name/value,
then there is an Items key which is an array of hashes, each hash being
a single with OrderItem.  Does that makes sense?  Does anything like
that exist?  Or is that exactly what "prefetch" is?

Of course, something would have to define how "deep" the retrieval would
go in the PK/FK pair "tree" (such as if each order item had arbitrarily
defined custom fields).

At any rate, thanks for the welcome!  Catalyst may be a bit smaller and
lower profile than Rails, but right now I'm enjoying it, as it will
make me more comfortable asking questions, and getting in there and
learning.  It also helps that I have a pretty firm grasp on the
language being used, as opposed to try to learn that too. :)

--
Joshua J. Kugler -- Fairbanks, Alaska -- ICQ#:13706295
Every knee shall bow, and every tongue confess, in heaven, on earth, and