[Catalyst] structure/layout of multilingual web application

Bernard FRIT bernard.frit at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 11:35:50 CEST 2005

> I looking for any advices in the subject of
> architecture of a multilingual web application, and more precisely -
> what to use for choosing the language - special language parameter,
> a path prefix or perhaps a cookie?

I run a tri-lingual site (fr-de-en) and it works like that :
- index script tries to figure out the browser default language
- then it sets a cookie with the iso language code
- then it redirects to the correct language sub-site
- on every page of the site there is a language selection menu
- on language change the cookie is updated and the user is redirected
to the root page of the correct language sub-site.
(I gave up trying to redirect to the corresponding node in another
language as it's quite impossible to upgrade the site at the same rate
for each language)
As the site is run by a database driven CMS I cannot tell that each
language is path prefixed but they are clearly separated within the db
structure. As far as I know of Catalyst, I would use iso code path
prefixing.

Hope that helps.
--
Bernard FRIT