[Catalyst] Re: Catalyst Digest, Vol 4, Issue 12

Perrin Harkins perrin at elem.com
Wed Jun 15 09:53:29 CEST 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 19:06 -0500, Justin Tocci wrote:
> I don't like rows being mapped to objects, but that might just be my
> experience with it, which has always meant you suffer a performance
> hit, and then it is expected that you tell your model all about your
> relationships. Two things that don't have value in the way I program.

Mapping rows to objects in a "recordset" approach is usually considered
the more lightweight option.  The other option is to have a layer of
objects that totally hide the existence of a database, and may map
individual objects to multiple database rows and tables.  Class::DBI
sort of straddles the fence but is closer to a recordset approach.

- Perrin